When we talk about wellness, the first thing that comes to mind is physical wellness. While your physical condition is an important aspect of your overall health, it is not the only determining factor of your general well-being. To be totally healthy, other factors should also be taken into consideration. One of them is your emotional health.
How you are feeling affects your ability to carry out your day to day activities. It leads to increase productivity. It also affects how you deal with other people. Individuals who are emotionally healthy treat others well.
Being emotionally well does not necessarily mean that you always have to be happy. Everyone has to go through problems and challenges in life. To be happy all the time is impossible. Rather, it is more about how you deal with problems that comes your way. It is about how you deal with pain, how you handle emotions and how you cope with stress.
Thus, it is important to determine the state of your emotional well-being.
- Are you constantly worried about the future?
- Do you still worry about what happened in the past?
- Do your family and friends support you?
- Have you had a traumatic experience that has greatly affected you?
- Do you feel so alone despite the presence of family and friends around you?
- Do you beat yourself up over mistakes that you have committed?
- Are you satisfied with yourself and your accomplishments?
- Do you keep everything to yourself?
- Do you always blame others for your feelings?
- Can you still remember the wrongdoing that was done to you in detail despite the fact that it happened years ago? Do you hold grudges?
- Do you always lament on what is missing from your life?
- Are you easily irritated? Do you get all worked up over small meaningless things?
- Do you have low self-esteem?
- Are you skeptical? Do you have a hard time believing in people?
- Do you hide yourself from social situations?
- Is it difficult for you to laugh at life’s absurdities? Do you not have a sense of humor?
- Do you let your mood affect your decision-making and the way you communicate with other people?
- Are you doing things that mean a lot to you?
- Do you no longer enjoy activities that you usually enjoy?
- Do you feel tired and weak these days?
Are you Emotionally Well?
If you answered YES to more than ten questions, then that is a sign that you are emotionally exhausted. It is possible that you are going through a rough patch in life. These are also warning signs that you need to take some time off to heal your emotional wounds. Remember that you are strong. Stay positive. Start a gratitude journal. Believe in yourself. It is the only way for you to rise above the storm. You will be emotionally well in due time.
First published in Pinoy Smart Living on 06.30.2019
Feature Image by S. Hermann & F. Richter from Pixabay Images